Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Current Project: Chicken Coop Dreams














































-->
It is not a surprise to those that know me: 
Having chickens is a dream of mine.

The story begins when I fell in love with permaculture 
this winter. Permaculture can be a lot of things at once. 
I best describe it as a lifestyle that focuses on good for 
people, good for the community (animals & humans), 
and good for the world. This good can come in though 
growing food where a person lives, rainwater harvesting, 
growing a food forest, animal husbandry, cob building, 
and the list goes on.

One of the ideas is of keeping chickens. Chickens are so 
much more than a fried drumstick or a deviled egg. 
Chicken can be food but they can do so much more. 
Chickens can fertilize, eat unwanted pests, provide eggs. 
and eat up unwanted food waste. 



































I also discover that all chickens are not all white
and red or yellow. I know it is kinda obvious but 
I had never thought of it. There lots of different 
types of chickens.

But for now I am nowhere near close to having a 
chicken coop. As I am saving my pennies for my 
big city dreams, these prints of chicken coops will 
have to do. The prints where made out traditional 
linoleum carve out. Each print is a small edition 
of nine. Each print is based of a chicken coops I 
have seen. The people who owned them are very 
lucky.

I am planning to do a few more in the summer. 
This exercise is also helping figure out how I would 
like my chicken coop to look like. I would also 
love to make a print of somebody own real life 
chicken coop, for now that is a far-fetched dream. 
Some of the prints will be available thru etsy for 
purchase.

Best Wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment