Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Little Scribbles













































A while back, I was completely inspired to make children clothes. I plunged 
myself knee-deep with anything I could learn about sewing, pattern making, 
seams, stitches, techniques, and style to make this project happen. As I was 
daydreaming of the collection, I decided to create little drawings featuring 
little girls and the dresses.

The result was a series of lovable drawings of little girls and a pint-sized 
dinosaur. I like the drawings so much that I took them a step further turned 
them into spunky bite-sized Linoleum prints. Flash-forward to the present, 
I have lost my stream for clothes making but have not lost my love of these 
mini prints.

I was (and still am) deeply in love with origami. Being able to cease, tease, 
and fold paper into little cranes, flowers, or even dinosaurs is amazing to me. 
So I combined origami, cuteness, and little girls into one print.

The piece was hand-drawn, hand-carved, and printed by myself. Each print 
is unique in its own right. Each print slightly different from one another and 
is the perfect affordable bite size art for child in all of us.

This was actually the start of my love for small edition prints. I know that 
when I started printmaking, I did not know what I was getting myself into. 
I really did think that my separation issues with my work had been solved. 
With printmaking, I could make thousands of the same design and part 
with them while still owning one myself.

Foolish foolish girl.

Now that I know the amount of time and energy it takes to make a single 
print. I don’t think I will do a huge edition print ever in my life. I know 
my limits now. At the same time, I think I know now the value of a small 
edition print. Linoleum plates do tend to break down after a certain number 
of prints. This break down destroys the quality of the image and the print.
 Plus I like knowing that there are a few of these prints in existence. It’s 
kinda exclusive.

Stop by the Shop to check them out.

Best Wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment