Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lean Closet: Defining & Editing


If I would write a letter to my younger self, I would have a great number of things
to say and encouragements to write. One of those things I would feel the need to
write would be about style and who I was to become as person. I would write that 
your clothes will always be more on the utilitarian side and you will never set for a
fabric that you don't like. Also that you will spend years not concerning yourself
too much about your appearance while you are clean, sensible, and presentable.
And all of that is perfectly fine, you will get better with age.

While that is what I would tell my younger self, what I am expecting of my current
self is a different ball game.

As I am entering a new stage in life, I do want my utilitarian clothes to not just be
useful but represent part of what I think I am as a person. I am taking a plunge to
create a closet this year that reflects me and all that I am. This series will document
this journey and take advice from several sources over the internet. If this series hits
close to home, I hope that the advice presented and can guide you to take your own
plunge and present you to fabulous ladies with sound wardrobe advice.

I will start with advice from Cuyana. Cuyana is a fine clothing company creating 
well-made and timeless pieces for women that has decided to start a movement. They call it the Lean Closet Movement. They have written that "A lean closet enables a fuller life: for ourselves and for others. Our Lean Closet Movement challenges us to collect fewer, better things, and to donate the pieces in our wardrobes that are merely taking up space to those who need them."


    

Most people start off with donating and editing their current wardrobe, to
see far better advice than I can give check out the links at the end of the post.
They are quite thoughtful and practical. My wardrobe is at the another end of
that spectrum. My wardrobe is quite sparse to the point of monotony. I had a
one odd piece that will find its home somewhere else hopefully. Part of this 
sparseness comes from purging multiple times before with moving on to purchasing
or identifying what type of closet I desire (Opps). 

I would really define my dream wardrobe to be filled with dark blue skinny jeans,
well made purses, quiet patterns that mix and play, leather oxfords, and simplicity. 
To further illustrate what I am aiming for, I made these collages that represent the
feel of what I desire. Colour is a playful second fiddle, not the main attraction.

Those are my thoughts for now. Catch you later.

Sources & Great Advice:


Cuyana and their Complete "Lean Closet Movement Series"

Kendi Everyday and her "Working Closet Series"

Wide Eyed Legless and her "Perfect Wardrobe Series"

Darling Magazine and their articles, "Dress like An Adult", "Clear that Closet Clutter", & "Closet Cleanse 101."



All Images found via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment