Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sweeter Words Saturday: Browning Part Two



Just because there is so many sonnets and are just too good. 

This is another Sweeter Word Sunday dedicated to Elizabeth
Barrett Brownings. 

Best Wishes.

Songs of the Portuguense by Elizabeth Barrett Brownings

Sonnet 9

Can it be right to give what I can give?
To let thee sit beneath the fall of tears
As salt as mine, and hear the sighing years
Re-sighing on my lips renunciative
Through those infrequent smiles which
      fail to live
for all thy adjurations? O my fears,
That this can be scarce be right! We are
      not peers,
So to be lovers; and I own, and grieve,
That givers of such gifts as mine are,
      must
Be counted with the ungenerous. Out,
       alas!
I will not soil thy purple with my dust,
Nor give thee any love - which were
       unjust.
Beloved, I only love thee! let it pass.



Sonnet 26

I LIVED with visions for my company
Instead of men and women, years ago,
And found them gentle mates, not
thought to know
A sweeter music than they played to 
        me.
But soon their trailing purple was not 
        free
Of this world's dust, their lutes did 
        silent grow,
And I myself grew faint and blind below
Their vanishing eyes. Then THOU didst
        come - to be,
Beloved, what they seemed. Their
shining fronts,
Their songs, their splendors (better, yet
the same,
As river-water hallowed into fonts),
Met in thee, and from out thee over
came
My soul with satisfaction of all wants:
Because God's gifts put man's best
dreams to shame.



Sonnet 29

I THINK of thee! - my thoughts do twine
       and bud
About thee, as wild wines, about a tree,
Put out broad leaves, and soon there's 
       nought to see
Except the straggling green which hides
       the wood.
Yet, O my palm-tree, be it understood
I will not have my thoughts instead of 
       thee
Who art dearer, better! Rather, instantly
Renew thy presence; as a strong three
       should,
Rustle thy boughs and set thy trunk all 
       bare,
And let these band s of greenery which
       insphere thee
Drop heavily down, - burst, shattered,
       everything where!
Because, in this deep joy to see and hear
       thee
And breather within thy shadow a new
       air
I do not think of thee - I am too near 
       thee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment